How to Hide Microsoft 365 Groups from the GAL, in this article we will read step to step process to Hide Microsoft 365 Groups from the GAL: A Guide for GUI and PowerShell Methods.
Microsoft 365 Groups offer seamless collaboration and communication within organizations. However, there may be instances where you need to Hide Microsoft 365 Groups from the GAL to maintain privacy or limit visibility. In this article, we will explore two methods to hide Microsoft 365 Groups from the GAL: using the graphical user interface (GUI) in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center and utilizing PowerShell commands.
Table of Contents
Global Address List (GAL):
The Global Address List (GAL) is a directory that contains contact information for users, groups, and contacts within a Microsoft 365 organization. It serves as a central repository of email addresses, facilitating easy communication. By default, all Microsoft 365 Groups are visible in the GAL, making them accessible to all users in the organization.
Reasons to Hide Microsoft 365 Groups: There are several reasons why you might want to Hide Microsoft 365 Groups from the GAL:
- Confidentiality: Groups associated with sensitive or confidential projects require restricted access. Hiding these groups ensures that only authorized individuals have visibility.
- Organization and Cleanliness: Over time, the number of Microsoft 365 Groups in an organization can grow significantly. Hiding inactive or irrelevant groups helps maintain a clutter-free GAL.
- Targeted Audiences: Certain groups may be intended for specific departments or teams and might not be useful for the entire organization.
How to Hide Microsoft 365 Groups from the GAL
Method 1: Using the GUI in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center
- Connect to Microsoft 365 Admin Center: Sign in to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center using your administrator credentials.
- Access Exchange Admin Center: From the Admin Center home page, navigate to the Exchange Admin Center. This allows you to manage Exchange Online settings, including the GAL.
- Manage Recipients: In the Exchange Admin Center, go to the “Recipients” tab and select “Groups” from the sub-menu.
- Choose the Group: Locate the Microsoft 365 Group you want to hide from the GAL and select it.
- Hide from Address Lists: In the properties pane for the selected group, click on the “Edit” button next to “Address Book Policy.”
- Enable “Hide from Address Lists”: In the “Address Book Policy” window, check the box that says “Hide this group from address lists” and click “Save.”
- Verify the Changes: Once saved, the group will be hidden from the GAL. You can confirm this by checking the GAL or searching for the group in the Outlook address book.
Method 2: Using PowerShell Commands:
- Connect to Exchange Online PowerShell: Launch the PowerShell console or the Exchange Online PowerShell module.
- Connect to Exchange Online: Run the following command to establish a connection to Exchange Online:
3. Hide the Group: Use the following PowerShell command to hide the desired Microsoft 365 Group from the GAL:
Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity "GroupDisplayName" -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true
Replace “GroupDisplayName” with the display name of the group you want to hide.
- Verify the Changes: To ensure that the group is hidden from the GAL, use the following PowerShell command:
Get-UnifiedGroup -Identity "GroupDisplayName" | Select-Object DisplayName,HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled
This command displays the group’s display name and its current hidden status.
Note: Allow some time for the changes to propagate across the Microsoft 365 infrastructure, as it may take a while for the group to be hidden from the GAL.
Hiding Microsoft 365 Groups from the Global Address List can be accomplished using either the graphical user interface (GUI) in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center or through PowerShell commands. Both methods offer flexibility and control over the visibility of groups to meet your organization’s specific requirements. Whether you prefer a user-friendly interface or the efficiency of automation, hiding groups from the GAL ensures privacy, confidentiality, and a streamlined collaboration experience within your Microsoft 365 environment.
Visit Latestinfo365.com to check more article